Tulbagh is best known for the largest concentration of National Monuments in a single street in South Africa. Every historic home in Church Street was painstakingly restored
after the 1969 earthquake and these 32 buildings recreate a bygone era. It is, however, also known for fine wines.
Tulbagh is located in a mountain basin ("Land van Waveren") which has been inhabited
for thousands of years by indigenous Bushmen and Khoi peoples. It was discovered by European settlers in 1658 and land grants were made to 14 farming families in 1700. The town was developed in 1743
when the church was built. It was named after governor Ryk Tulbagh in 1743.
It is fringed on three sides by majestic mountain ranges - the Obiqua mountains to the west, the towering Winterhoek
on the northern end and the Witzenberg on the eastern side. The Great Winterhoek mountains tower 2077m above sea level and are snowcapped in winter.